As a soon-to-be first-time-attendee at the CLLA Conference, coming up November 10 – 12, I emailed other first-timers to share some advice given to me before my first conference ever (NARCA), and to ask if they had any advice for me. I’m hoping to meet many of them at the Agency/Attorney Networking event, and I thought the email might help to “break the ice” and increase networking opportunities. I received some very friendly emails in return, some with excellent advice. With so many conferences coming up, I think at least some NL blog readers will benefit from what I learned and others could comment with their own advice.
Advice Given to Me before NARCA
- Bring plenty of business cards
- Wear comfortable shoes
Advice from Me after Attending My First Conference
- Bring hand sanitizer so that after shaking so many hands you don’t catch a cold like I did upon my return home.
- Use breakfast, lunch and dinner as networking opportunities.
- Dress in layers. Conference rooms are often too cold or too hot.
Advice from Other CLLA First-Timers
- Be yourself.
- Be a good listener.
- There is much to be gained and plenty of time to gain it.
- Try to meet people you’ve previously known only via other means.
- Expand your acquaintances, along with your knowledge.
- Get plenty of rest before and after, advice I rarely follow but should.
- Take an umbrella and a warm jacket, just in case.
- Avoid the unregulated cabs and limos at the airport, especially in NY.
I look forward to meeting all of you who corresponded with me. It’s always nice to see a friendly face (or should I say an email friend) when attending a conference. Do you have advice you can add to the bullets above? Please share!
Kacey Rask, Account Executive, The National List
Categories: Conferences, NL Insider
Leave a Reply